The history of the FIW München
The research institute has been founded at october the first 1918 by seven enterprices of the insulation industry below Dr.-Ing. Max Grünzweig as "Forschungsheim für Wärmewirtschaft". Closely connected to the laboratory of technical physik of the Technischen Hochschule München the research institute worked in the university space and with the device for scientific researches.
1921 the institute has been registered in the register of associations under the name of "Forschungsheim für Wärmeschutz e.V München". The version of puprose of association which then has been set has been persisted until today. The formulation works at the Improvment of thermal economy in the industry through the researche of the laws of thermal transfer, specially the scientific basics of thermal protection speaks for the farsightedness of the founders as well for the continuity of the institut.
Due to the increasing importance for the test of thermal protection of construction and thermal insulation material the institut has been recognized for the whole rich area from Bayerischen Staatsministerium of innern as material testing institute for the approval of new construction material and type.
In the end of 1944 the facilities have been damaged strongly, the test hall and the further working rooms have been destroyed through bombing. Not unitl 1948 the work in a temporary wooden barack could resume. 1952 the relocation to a building in Münich Bogenhausen followed.
In the year 1961 the institute recieved the approval with the recognition of building inspection for the goods inspection insulation material from the commitee of experts. This was specially important, because in the following year the research home recieved the mission to goods inspection of polystrol- and polyurethan hard foam sheets and a liddle later even for Aminoplast montage foam.
The constantly growing test and reasearch work made the institutes extension neccessary. The solution was found in the building of an own institutes building which was optained in gräfelfing thanks to the donation of members and to public donations. At the same time it was renamed to "Forschungsinstitut für Wärmeschutz e.V. München. At that time the institute employed 12 employees.
Since 1968 the FIW contributes in the comitee of experts of the Institut für Bautechnik (IfBt)
Since 1973 a tensioned situation occured on the energy market, when rapid increasings of oil prices through the OPEC states leaded payment problems of numerous countries which imported petroleum. The FIW worked out a memorandum for the ministry of economy, in which the necessaty of an improved thermal protection for every heat spending facilities, in particular living and insdustrial buildings
In may 2005 the FIW München hosted its "Wärmeschutztag", which stood under the guiding principle: "EnEV 2006 - new requirements, current research results, improved energy efficiency". Topics, which touch the novalization of the EnEV, were the energy pass, the economic efficiency of thermal insulation measures and innovative problem solution with insulation material for the renovation for the old buildings as well as for the industrial area.
The FIW München celebrated its 100. birthday with a ceremony in the senate chamber of the Bayrischen Landtags with about 250 customers, employees as well as with friends of the institute. The moderation of the ceremonial act was taken over by the journalist Ursula Heller who is known from the bavarian television. Celebratory speeches of state secretary Josef Zellmeier MdL of the bayrischen Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr, Staatssekretär Gunther Adler out of the Bundesministerium des Innern, für Bau und Heimat, und Prof. Dr. Ottmar Edenhofer, Direktor of the potsdam institute for Klimafolgenforschung e.V. and member of the as coal comission known "Wachstum, Strukturwandel und Beschäftigung (WSB) of the Bundesregierung, inspired as celebratory speakers.
The musical setting was ensured by the Blechbläserquintett of the Musikbund Ober- and Niederbayern as well as the Chor Capella Nova.